POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : topaz (84k jpg) : topaz (84k jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  topaz (84k jpg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 21 Aug 2007 23:05:49
Message: <46cba80d@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

I discovered a way to accurately depict minerals with POV-Ray. I found a
demo version of a program called KrystalShaper
(http://www.jcrystal.com/products/krystalshaper/) which allows one to
view various crystal morphologies for different minerals. The demo
version does not allow you to save or export, but you can view the
Miller indices (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_index) of a
crystal's faces, and determine the angle between them.

Using the angles acquired from the program, I made an intersection of
planes to create the crystal. It would not be too difficult to randomize
the result to make unique, natural-looking specimens.

The render itself is nothing amazing, but the possibilities represented
by it are exciting!

Questions and comments, welcome as always!

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'topaz.jpg' (84 KB)